10.14.2011

Almost Finished

           I promised myself when I returned from Italy that I'd start a design blog...well, here it is! I'm about to end another Interior Design semester at Auburn University and come January I'll begin my last. It's bitter sweet, leaving friends and a school I love to enter the real world. I'd lie if I said I wasn't nervous but I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't ready. Life is a book filled with many chapters and college is one that will have to end eventually. I believe my professors have given me the skills I'll need to be the best Interior Designer that I can offer a future firm. I have gotten through semesters, projects, and studios that may have put me on the edge of a breakdown, but I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't learn to calm down and work through the stress a project can put on you. It continues in the real-world, it gets worse, and we all have to realize to work through obstacles to succeed.
The Hotel at Auburn University Pin-Up
ff&e and furniture plans
         The project I'm currently working on in my Hospitality studio is for The Hotel at Auburn University. We have to design a think-tank, employee dining room, fitness room, hotel room, and a hotel suite. Someone's design will be implemented in the future to better these spaces. In the next few weeks final ff&e, perspectives, and concept boards will be presented to the hotel manager and a jury board. I think my favorite part of the design process is the pin-up presentation. It allows you to envision the space with materials, finishes, and architectural details without having the reality of it in front of you. I also feel that a pin-up is less intimating to a client if you were to present it to them. It's more personal, collaborative, and flexible. Change a fabric, a finish, or detail without having to redo the entire design. It's extremely important in design to listen to what your client's needs and wants are....it's EXTREMELY important in design to LISTEN to what your client's needs and wants are.

No comments:

Post a Comment